ork is progressing to make significant improvements to Chelmsford railway station.
Aside from Liverpool Street, it is Greater Anglia’s busiest station with 5.5 million passenger journeys made annually.The works will include a new ticket hall with an open plan counter service, new toilets, improved customer information systems and additional retail units. There will also be significant improvements to access for the London bound platform. An additional stair tower is being built opposite the bus station, linked to the existing stair tower, which will enable a better flow of people. Access to the London bound platform in the main ticket hall is also being rebuilt in order to improve the space in the ticket hall and extend the gate line.
The following is a list of the works completed to date:
– We have installed a temporary staircase between the intermediate landing and Platform One, in preparation for the existing staircase to be demolished.
– The steelwork has been erected for the new Duke Street entrance and tower.
– We have finished the temporary ticket office and over the Easter weekend Greater Anglia staff moved over to allow progression of works to the main ticket office.
– The main ticket office has been stripped out ready for temporary propping works before the start of the first phase of the structural demolition.
– Work has started on the new Ticket Vending Machine room and new brick work to the exterior of the station is ready to progress to the second lift.